Do You Live By The Word?

This week I had a challenging encounter with a person who I felt was exceptionally rude to me.  I fussed and fumed afterward, venting my feelings of indignation and hurt with family and friends (gossiping).  There was a little voice in my head that was saying, "try and see the hurt and angry child in this person," but I ignored that voice.  Now, several days later, I am feeling convicted about my thoughts and actions, remembering Jesus' words about forgiving someone seventy seven times. (Matt 18:22).
Then I read another passage this morning that hit home even further:

"But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop." (Luke 8:15)
Another translation said this, "Blessed are they who have kept the word with a generous heart."

Ouch.  Had I kept Jesus' word with a generous heart?  Had I readily forgiven this person, knowing that inside they were a hurt and angry child?  Further, had I clothed myself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience? (Col. 3:12)  A big no to all those questions.

Lord, help me to see you in others and Spirit, remind me of your Word, so that I may be a more compassionate and forgiving person.  Amen.

Comments