Do You Listen To The Spirit?

The other day, my husband and I were reading the Gospel of John when a passage jumped out to both of us in a new way.  We were so struck that we read this same passage in several different Bibles (New American, NIV, NLT and the Message) for some different interpretations.  That's what can happen when you read Scripture: each time you read it, you may get something different out of it.  The passage we were reading was this:

"But in fact, it's best for you that I go away, because if I don't, the Advocate (Counselor, Comforter) won't come to you.  If I go away, then I will send Him to you.
When the Spirit of Truth comes, He will guide you in all truth.  He will not speak on His own, but will tell you what He has heard.  He will tell you about the future.  He will bring Me glory by telling you whatever He receives from me."  John 16:7,13

I have read this passage many times, but I haven't grasped the magnitude of what Jesus was saying.  The Spirit, who lives in me, can guide me in all truth, bring to mind what Jesus said, in addition to other God-breathed Scripture.  He can tell me about the future, guide me when I am confused and don't know which way to go, and show me Jesus in a fresh way.  Sometimes I forget this when I am trying to figure things out all by myself, am confused and overwhelmed.  Thank you, Jesus for sending the Holy Spirit and thank you, Spirit for being my Teacher and Guide. Amen.


Comments