Martha, Mary and Me (Luke 10:38-42)

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
 
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset (anxious) about many things. There is need of only one thing.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken from her.”  Luke 10:38-42
 
I love this passage in Scripture!!  No matter how many times I read and hear it, I always identify most with what Martha is feeling, but wanting to be Mary.  My husband remarked that considering what a tizzy I get in when we are having normal guests for dinner, imagine what I would be like if Jesus came!  I quickly responded that I would get the house clean and provide the ambiance before Jesus got there, but I would let him do all the cooking, so I could listen to Jesus!


All kidding aside, lots of times I feel Jesus saying to me, "Jane, Jane, you are worried and anxious about many things," hospitality being only one of them.  I obsess and I worry about a lot of things.  My family, friends, plans, and my business/ministry to name a few.  My desire is to just let go and let God work in me and through me.  To have more fun, to be more playful, to be at peace.  Being worried doesn't help anything.  I want to sit at Jesus' feet (as in, reading scripture and journaling), instead of being consumed with busyness about these things that have to be done.  Martha's heart was in the right place in this scene, but Jesus just really wanted to teach and share with his dear friends.  This is my prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, my greatest desire is to hear you, feel you and know you.  Open my ears, eyes and heart, so that I can learn from you.  Thank you for wanting to spend time with me.  I love you so much!  In your precious name, Amen. 





 

Comments