Do You Hate Your Body?

I have been struggling lately with some extra lbs. around my waist.  This is especially noticeable and in the spotlight during bathing suit season.  You can't ignore it.  The fact is that as women age, they tend to hold more weight around the middle.  I am heading to the beach soon and debating whether I am going to wear my two-piece bathing suits (which I usually wear only in my own pool) or stick with the one-piece Miracle Suit or tankinis. 

I know this doesn't sound like a spiritual problem, but it really is.  When you criticize God's handywork, you criticize Him.  I take care of my body, I exercise, I eat healthy food, but the fact is, my body has changed.  I don't really like this.  However, this is the time I should be practicing gratitude, not criticism.  There are hundreds of women who probably wish they had two strong legs to walk on (albeit with some aches and pains), or healthy lungs to breathe deeply, or a strong back to lift their grandchildren.

So today, I chose to start my day with a long walk and thanking God as I went for the strong, healthy body that He gave me.  Also, thanking the parts of my body that serve me well.  It makes my spirit a lot lighter to say thanks, rather than to think about what I don't like.  I also thought of some tweaks for my diet that might give me more energy and less fullness.  All in all, I am grateful to God for all the blessings in my life, including my body!

Blessed are they who dwell in your house, forever singing your praise.  Psalm 84:5

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.  Psalm 139:14


Comments