Is Your House Built on Rock?

It has been raining here for days, just as it has all over the Southeast.  There have been torrential downpours and flash flood watches.  My friend who live in NC sent me a video that showed that the gently flowing stream next to her house had turned into an angry overflow. 


Seeing this video and rain reminded me of the words of Jesus:

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”  Matthew 7:24-27



I ask myself, "Am I truly listening to Jesus' words and putting them into practice or am I just reading them and then setting them aside, while giving myself a pat on the head for reading Scripture?"  Am I building my house on rock or sand?  What happens when tough times come, when challenged, when attacked, when down, when discouraged, when sick??  Do I lean on Jesus and His words for help or do I depend on just my own understanding?  I love turning to Scripture when I have a problem, when I need building up, when I need courage, when I need to be uplifted.  There is something in Scripture for every situation.  Thank you, Jesus for your words, a rich and meaningful source of wisdom and guidance and strength.

Comments