Are You Afraid of Doing Something?

Are you afraid of something in your life?   Do you live your life in fear of taking a next step?

I certainly have been afraid of things in my life.  Jumping fences on horseback at the age of 8, for starters.  I did it anyway with the encouragement of my dad and the rigorous instruction by a WWII Austrian cavalry officer.  I fell off many times, but got back on.  Some wins, some losses.

Tried out for cheerleading in school.  Made the team one year and then didn't make it.  Devastating, but some good lessons learned.  Ran for office.  Made speeches.  Lost and won. Stepped out even though I was scared.

Married two guys who were not good choices.  Took the chance, even though all the warning signs were there.  Both alcoholics.  But had the blessing of a wonderful daughter. Got divorced.  Waited 14 years and finally met the man I felt was the one God chose for me.  But I sure was afraid to take that marriage step again. But I stepped out and trusted God and it has been the most wonderful blessing.  We have been married 13 amazing years.

Stuff like this happened to you?  You took chances and some worked out, some didn't.  Things like that can make you afraid to take the step to try something scary again.

Fast forward.  I started my own business after retirement.  Had some success, but something just wasn't right.  My biggest fear has been to be "out there" in my faith in my business.  This reminds me of the scripture in Matthew when Jesus was walking on water and he called for Peter to step out and he did, only to let the wind make him afraid again and he started to sink.



Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
“Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”  Matthew 14:25-31

I have been open with my faith in my business and step out and then I step back into the boat, because of fear.  I want to step out of the boat and walk to Jesus without fear.  Be open and authentic in all that do and how I live my life.

Will you join me?  

What are you afraid of doing or being?  How about walking with me and reaching for Jesus' hand?  To take that next step, no matter how large or small?  I'd love the company!

Leave me a comment and let me know how you are going to walk with me...Want to talk more?  Send me an email at jane@janespringer.com.

www.janespringer.com

Comments