How To Start Loving Your Body

“If you eat another roll, you won’t be able to fit through the door.” 

I cringed when I heard those hurtful words said to a young family member at the dinner table. 


Yet, I said nothing. 

Why? 


Because I was so beaten down in an emotionally abusive marriage, that I couldn’t speak up for fear of retribution.  Always subtle, but always effective by him.

 

He had said hurtful things to me, as well. 


But he also would go out of his way to bring us our favorite ice cream.  Sabotage and ostensible love at the same time.  Classic. 


My heart ached for that young person who was just developing her sense of self and who she was in her growing body. 


I did get out of that abusive marriage, but not before the hurtful remarks made an impression on us.   


It also stirred up memories of remarks said to me about my body when I was in my childhood and teens.  Remarks that hurt me and made me feel bad about the way I looked.



 


Those remarks can imprint on impressionable brains and they are hard to forget. 


Maybe you’ve been on the receiving end of those kinds of hurtful comments.  You probably haven’t forgotten them. 


Those memories may trigger the “I don’t care”, “I hate my body” kinds of thoughts, leading to actions of not loving and appreciating our bodies.

Affecting how we speak to ourselves, what we put into our bodies, what we do to our bodies to try and compensate. 


But here is the good news – aren't you ready for some?

 

We can change those thoughts in our brain over time, so that we Can love and take care of our bodies. 


It is possible to get curious in a compassionate way about our thoughts and actions regarding the food we eat, the clothes we wear, and what we project onto to others, including our children. 


Once we do this we can change all of that!


It’s taken me years of self-examination of what I think, how I react and who I might be without them to really turn around those old tapes and memories in my brain. 


But it can be done! The transformation in the way you can feel about yourself and your body will give you a sense of freedom and joy as you show your body the love it deserves. 


I’ll leave you with this verse: 

“I praise you because I am remarkably and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful; I know that full well.”  Psalm 139:14 


Wouldn’t you love to feel that way?  Just contact me here and we’ll set up a call to chat about your challenges with the way you feel about your body and the changes you’d like to make.  I look forward to hearing from you. 

 

Comments