The Magic Bullet When You Are Tired

What's this winter been like for you so far?  Lots of holiday running around, you or family members sick, extra time at work or even in volunteering?

Feeling tired already, maybe before you even start your day?  Fatigue may be with you all day.  You drink coffee or tea to keep going, maybe eat sugar loaded food and drink to to help bring you up and give yourself energy.

Tired is a feeling I know very well.  When I was diagnosed with Chronic Epstein Barr Virus Syndrome (which sometimes gets lumped as chronic fatigue syndrome) in 1982, there was no treatment, nor did doctors really know much about the condition.  I had been sick for a while and I felt much like I did when I had mononeucleosis 2 years prior.  I had no energy, plus nausea and periodic dizziness. I was a single parent raising a daughter by myself.  I was working full-time.

Something had to give.  I had to figure out what to do for myself, so that I could function.  What I learned to do was to pace myself. I took a nap most days, even when I was working full-time.  I picked out what was most important in my day and took it easy the rest of the time.  Even though I felt guilty when I could not take my daughter to after school activities.  I had to do what could get me through the day without having a flare up of the virus.  I had to take care of myself.

But what helped me the most, in addition to pacing myself, was relying on God and scripture for encouragement.  Sure, I had to do the practical things, too, but it was by God's grace that I was healed.  It is only because of his healing that I am able to do all I can do today.  I work part-time as a research assistant, have a life coaching practice, help my daughter with my twin grandchildren, run all the errands I need to do to take care of the house, and nurture my relationship with my husband as best I can.

When I was really sick and tired, this is the verse that really set me on the path to believing I could get well and have energy again.

He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.  Isaiah 40:29-31


If you are feeling tired, you don't feel well, you are putting one foot in front of the other, my suggestion is to do what is practical and absolutely necessary, of course.  Pace yourself.  Don't try and do everything on your "List."  Stop.

Whittle it down.  I did that today.  I needed to go grocery shopping at two stores.  I decided to go to one instead, because I have a cold.  Rest when your body tells you to.  Don't push through.  Ultimately, your body will rebel. and manifest in all kinds of ways.  Usually by getting sick, so you have to rest.

What can you do to carve out what is most important?

Don't be discouraged if you have a condition like chronic fatigue syndrome or an autoimmune disease like lupus or celiac.  They can be healed and managed.

But more importantly, you can rely on scripture to lift you up.  Always.  God has the power to heal anything.  And all things are possible with Him.
Amen.

I'd love to hear how you manage chronic fatigue and I am happy to offer encouragement, if you aren't there yet.  Leave a comment or contact me at jane@janespringer.com.

www.janespringer.com

Comments