The Challenges of a Summer Spiritual Practice

It’s mid-July and in the midst of vacations, children out of school, your job and fun outings, your regular spiritual practice has been practically non-existent.  I get it.
I am right there.  I realized the other day that my regular practice of sitting in my favorite chair journaling and reading scripture has become very infrequent.
My life seems chaotic with tending to a sick friend, completing an urgent assignment for work, doing talks for my business, helping with grandkids, not to mention the housework that isn’t getting done and just feeling scattered all over the place.
I had a few days off in the mountains getting connected to nature and then jumped right back in to busyness when I got home.  Without taking my regular quiet time with the Lord.

Do you feel this way right now?  Do you miss taking the time for a spiritual practice?  Are you ready to start one?
I decided to recommit today.  You can, too.  Here’s how:
  1.  Find stillness and quiet time.  Sometime during the day, find a quiet spot and just sit and be still, even if it’s just 5 minutes.    With all that you have going on, how do you do it? By committing. Schedule that time. Even if you have to go into your walk-in closet or bathroom with the door closed.  Maybe you need to get up a few minutes earlier before the kids get up.  This can be challenging, but you can’t receive answers if you aren’t listening.  I have been listening to podcasts on my walk.  I am going to commit to not listening to anything but nature several days a week.  By the way, walking is a great time to connect with God.  Listen.
  2. Read spiritual books or scripture before bed.  Not only is this relaxing, but going to sleep reading this way can help cultivate quieting your mind and open you up to relaxation and peace.  We all could use that, right?
  3. Just breathe.  How many times in the day do you or I realize we haven’t taken a nice deep cleansing breath in hours?  I know I get busy and my breath is short and choppy in the upper part of my chest.  Taking several long, cleansing breaths periodically can calm you physically, mentally and spiritually.
Just try one or all of these suggestions.  I believe you will reconnect with the One and feel a sense of peace that wasn’t there earlier.
“Let there be a place somewhere in which you can breathe naturally, quietly, and not have to take your breaths in continuous short gasps.  A place where your mind can be idle, and forget its concerns, descend into silence, and worship the Father in secret.”  Thomas Merton
I’d love to hear about how you manage your spiritual practice in the busyness of summer.  Please leave a comment below….

http://www.janespringer.com
jane@janespringer.com


Comments