Need a Hug Today? Feeling Down and Unsettled?

Is today one of those days when you feel vaguely out of sync, a little blue, or discontented but don't know why?  It could be SAD, seasonal affective disorder, with the January doldrums. Or it could be that you are feeling separated from your spiritual Source, the one that gives you the peace that makes things feel easy and flowing.  I have been feeling that way the last couple of weeks.

One way I thought I could pull myself out of this was to clean up the clutter around my favorite chair where I do my devotions and comfortable reading.  You may have a favorite area of your house that is out of order.  I have read that your house may be a reflection of your internal state and this may be true in my case.

Big and little piles of books and papers are scattered around and making me feel unsettled and overwhelmed.  When I have thought about tackling some of it, I didn't even know where to start.  So I would ignore it and stay stuck.  So today I went through two folders near my chair full of spiritual things I had kept and recycled a bunch of them.  It felt really good, but I still felt unsettled.  One of the papers I came across was from Sister Dorothy, a nun who had led a retreat I went to several years ago.

She said, "Take all your cares to Jesus - he is Jesus the Healer.  Look at Him as he looks at you and speak your needs.  Take time.  Enter deep silence.  Move away from your head, and use your imagination and your feelings.  There is no better way to go immediately to Jesus."  This brought to mind a verse that I love in Matthew:

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30

So that is what I did and you, dear friends, can do the same.  Take all your cares to Him and let Him give you a big hug.  Instant peace and a lifting of spirits.  Try it today.




Comments