There Is Hope For Redemption

The season of Lent is a time of reflection. Often, we remember the sins and mistakes we have made along this life's journey.  No one traverses life without making some regrettable mistakes and some very bad decisions.

This is certainly true of me. Upon honest consideration, this may be true of you as well. There are two ways you can go with this.  First, you can beat yourself up, become and remain depressed, and think, "There is no good that can come from what I have done."

Second, you can prayerfully reflect on the circumstances and what led up to the regrettable action, be gentle with yourself and realize that we are all sinners.  There is not one person on this earth who is perfect.  We are human.  We make mistakes, some doozies, and I can think of several that I made that are very hard to look back on.  They still make me wince with sadness and remorse.

Thankfully, we have a God who forgives our sins when we repent of them and promise to do our best to not repeat them.  He can redeem them and possibly make a way to turn them for good.

Two of my favorite scripture verses are these:

I have swept away your offenses like a cloud,
your sins like the morning mist.
Return to me,
for I have redeemed you.  Isaiah 44:22

The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse,
nor will he harbor his anger forever;
he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.  Psalm 103:9-12


In my own case, I became involved in a ministry to help other women heal from mistakes similar to my own,  It has been truly life-changing for me and for them to understand that there is nothing that we can do for which God can not forgive us.

Perhaps this Lent we can reflect upon these verses, let them soak in, and know that God loves us, no matter what sins we commit.  We can hit our knees and ask for forgiveness and move on knowing that we are loved with an unconditional love surpassing all others.  And knowing this feels really, really good.


Comments